At the end of June, I attended an affordable housing conference and thought you may find some of the statistics of interest:
- Homelessness in NSW has increased by 37% in the last 2 years (ABS census 14.3.18).
- Of this, 33% has been attributed to domestic violence.
- There is an alarming increase in homelessness among the over 55s. People aged 55 to 74 are now the fastest growing age cohort experiencing homelessness (55% of which is due to "elder abuse").
- Homelessness services users increased by 25% over 2016 – 2018, however government expenditure on homelessness services in the same time decreased by 7%.
- Applications for social housing increased by 29%, whereas supply of social housing increased by only 3%.
- In 2016 in NSW 17, 5000 children aged 12 - 18 presented unaccompanied to a homelessness service. One third of these children were under 16.